Showing posts with label protest. Show all posts
Showing posts with label protest. Show all posts

Monday, November 4, 2013

Human rights groups fret over fate of protesting Penans at Murum Dam site
A police blockade being set up at the entry point into Murum Dam after more than 200 Penans staged a protest against the Murum hydro-electric dam project. - Pic by Raymond Abin
A police blockade being set up at the entry point into Murum Dam after more than 200 Penans staged a protest against the Murum hydro-electric dam project. - Pic by Raymond Abin
MIRI: Human rights activists are worried over the fate of some 200 Penans protesting at the Murum Dam site in interior central Sarawak who are running out of food.
Police have "cordoned off" the area near where the protesters are camping.
Representatives of Borneo Resources Institute (Brimas) and Society for Rights of Indigenous People of Sarawak (SCRIPS) were in Murum the last few days to visit the Penans but found themselves unable to enter.
Brimas state coordinator Raymond Abin and SCRIPS secretary Michael Jok went there on separate occasions and told The Star Online that they were stopped from passing through the police barricade.
Jok, a former Catholic priest turned social activist, said on Monday that he and several officials were trying to deliver food to the Penans.
"Police have set up a roadblock preventing people from entering the Murum Dam site where the Penans are protesting against a hydro-electric project.
"We went into Murum in two 4WD vehicles filled with food rations over the past week. We wanted to give the food to the Penans, who are manning the blockade day and night.
"However, the access road leading to the protest site has been barricaded by a police team at the entry point.
"We have to leave the food at the place where the police blocked the road with a makeshift barricade.
"We asked the police to help get in touch with some of the protesting Penans to come and get the food.
"They agreed to that arrangement," Jok said after he made his way out of Murum, which is about 300kms from Bintulu town.
Abin said he took pictures at the police barricade.
"I tried to pass through the police blockade but was told that nobody is allowed in unless with permission for official business.
"I heard that the protesting Penans may set up blockades at other points along the road into the Murum Dam soon.
"They may be tired and hungry but they are determined to fight for their cause even though they are facing harsh weather conditions staying in makeshift camps," he said.
The Penans are from the remaining four settlements in the Murum Valley who are protesting the move to uproot them to resettlement schemes.
So far, three groups of Penans and Kenyahs have already agreed to move out of Murum Valley to the Tegulang Resettlement Scheme.
Abin and Jok appealed to the state government to again look into the grouses of the remaining Murum Penans who have yet to agree to the relocation plan.
Murum is located some 550km south of Miri and the protests there are by the Penans.
In Ulu Baram, the protests are being staged by more than 300 natives from the Kenyah, Kayan and Penan communities against the proposed Baram Dam site located between Long Kesseh and Long Naah some 200km inland from Miri.
The Star Online Published: Tuesday November 5, 2013 MYT 9:47:00 AM 

Friday, June 18, 2010

The Kayapo Continue Blockades of Amazon Highway for the 28th Straight Day in Protest of the Belo Monte Dam

by International Rivers and Amazon Watch

For Immediate Release
May 21, 2010

Brazil's Indigenous Peoples Vow to Block Dam Construction or
"Die Fighting for our Rights"

Piaraçu, Xingu National Park, Brazil - A group of Kayapo indigenous people led by Chief Megaron Txukarramãe have been blockading the Xingu River crossing of the BR-80 - a major Amazon highway in Mato Grosso State - since April 23 in protest of the government's plans to build the massive Belo Monte Dam. Dozens of Kayapo warriors have been blocking the ferry crossing over the Xingu River for four weeks and are determined to remain there. Their actions have disrupted a major transportation artery for commercial goods in the region.

In a statement issued from the blockade, Chief Megaron referred to President Lula as "enemy number one" to Brazil's indigenous peoples, and vowed to maintain the blockade until Belo Monte is canceled or "die fighting for our rights."

Chief Megaron has been joined in these protests by Kayapo Chief Raoni Metuktire, an emblematic leader for over 20 years of indigenous resistance to the Brazilian government's plans to dam the Xingu River. In a May 1st interview with the French channel TF1, Chief Raoni said "I have asked my warriors to prepare for war and I have spoken of this with other tribes from the Upper Xingu. We will not let them [build this dam]."

Leaders of the Arara, Xipaia and Juruna indigenous peoples of the Lower Xingu echo the vociferous opposition of the Kayapo to the Belo Monte Dam, and have also vowed to lay down their lives to stop the project, which would destroy their communities and livelihoods. "We are firm in this struggle, and continue more strong and determined than ever to stop Belo Monte," said the leader Sheyla Juruna. Attempts to stop the Belo Monte Dam became known around the world last month when filmmaker James Cameron and members of the cast of Avatar joined protests in Brasilia and visited villages on the Xingu River and its tributaries to hear about the plight of the region's indigenous people.

Slated to be the 3rd largest hydroelectric project in the world, Belo Monte would divert over 80 percent of the Xingu River's flow through artificial canals, flooding over 500 sq km of rainforest while drying out a 100 km stretch of the river known as the "Big Bend," which is home to hundreds of indigenous and riverine families. Though sold to the public as "clean energy," Belo Monte would generate an enormous amount of methane, a greenhouse gas 20 times more potent than carbon dioxide.

Despite legal injunctions against the project's auction, the Brazilian government announced that the auction's winning consortium, "Norte Energia," would proceed with plans to dam the Xingu River. President Lula's insistence that the project move forward at all costs - in spite of serious social, environmental and financial concerns, as well as a massive local and international outcry - continues to be met with fierce denouncements from indigenous people of the Xingu Basin.

"The destruction that would be caused by the massive Belo Monte Dam in the globally essential Amazon Basin would have worldwide ramifications that can't yet be fully comprehended. Indigenous people are determined to disrupt the 'business as usual' model of destructive development projects that ruin the environment and their traditional ways of life," said Atossa Soltani of Amazon Watch. "Indigenous groups from the Xingu Basin have sent the Brazilian government a clear and resounding message that they will not allow the Belo Monte Dam to move forward. A Brazilian and international coalition of organizations and social movements stands in solidarity with these groups, and is mobilizing further social and legal actions."

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Indigenous Tribesmen Storm Brazilian Congress

In a dramatic scene of protest today in the Brazilian Capitol Building, several dozen indigenous tribesmen clashed with security outside the chamber of the House of Representatives--some armed with batons and sticks. Capitol Police managed to hold back the protesters, most of whom were dressed in traditional garb, from their attempts "to invade the House." The leader of the indigenous group, however, claims their motives were peaceful, and that they wanted simply their voices to be heard by the governing body over issues of encroachment on their native lands.

A Peaceful Protest Turns Violent
According to a report from the news agency Globo, despite the peaceful intention of the demonstration, several of the protesters reported injuries--including the group's leader, Anto. He said that his people relinquished their archery tools upon entering the building, but were still assaulted by House security. Even an 80-year-old indigenous man injured, says Anto, and that he "was punched in the ribs and many people were beaten."

Read more at: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/05/indigenous-tribesmen-storm-brazilian-congress.php?campaign=th_rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+treehuggersite+%28Treehugger%29