Showing posts with label Resettlement. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Resettlement. Show all posts

Monday, November 4, 2013

Human rights groups fret over fate of protesting Penans at Murum Dam site
A police blockade being set up at the entry point into Murum Dam after more than 200 Penans staged a protest against the Murum hydro-electric dam project. - Pic by Raymond Abin
A police blockade being set up at the entry point into Murum Dam after more than 200 Penans staged a protest against the Murum hydro-electric dam project. - Pic by Raymond Abin
MIRI: Human rights activists are worried over the fate of some 200 Penans protesting at the Murum Dam site in interior central Sarawak who are running out of food.
Police have "cordoned off" the area near where the protesters are camping.
Representatives of Borneo Resources Institute (Brimas) and Society for Rights of Indigenous People of Sarawak (SCRIPS) were in Murum the last few days to visit the Penans but found themselves unable to enter.
Brimas state coordinator Raymond Abin and SCRIPS secretary Michael Jok went there on separate occasions and told The Star Online that they were stopped from passing through the police barricade.
Jok, a former Catholic priest turned social activist, said on Monday that he and several officials were trying to deliver food to the Penans.
"Police have set up a roadblock preventing people from entering the Murum Dam site where the Penans are protesting against a hydro-electric project.
"We went into Murum in two 4WD vehicles filled with food rations over the past week. We wanted to give the food to the Penans, who are manning the blockade day and night.
"However, the access road leading to the protest site has been barricaded by a police team at the entry point.
"We have to leave the food at the place where the police blocked the road with a makeshift barricade.
"We asked the police to help get in touch with some of the protesting Penans to come and get the food.
"They agreed to that arrangement," Jok said after he made his way out of Murum, which is about 300kms from Bintulu town.
Abin said he took pictures at the police barricade.
"I tried to pass through the police blockade but was told that nobody is allowed in unless with permission for official business.
"I heard that the protesting Penans may set up blockades at other points along the road into the Murum Dam soon.
"They may be tired and hungry but they are determined to fight for their cause even though they are facing harsh weather conditions staying in makeshift camps," he said.
The Penans are from the remaining four settlements in the Murum Valley who are protesting the move to uproot them to resettlement schemes.
So far, three groups of Penans and Kenyahs have already agreed to move out of Murum Valley to the Tegulang Resettlement Scheme.
Abin and Jok appealed to the state government to again look into the grouses of the remaining Murum Penans who have yet to agree to the relocation plan.
Murum is located some 550km south of Miri and the protests there are by the Penans.
In Ulu Baram, the protests are being staged by more than 300 natives from the Kenyah, Kayan and Penan communities against the proposed Baram Dam site located between Long Kesseh and Long Naah some 200km inland from Miri.
The Star Online Published: Tuesday November 5, 2013 MYT 9:47:00 AM 

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Last of Bakun villagers moving out

Tuesday, 01 June 2010 13:18

KUCHING – The last of the villagers in the way of the Bakun hydroelectric dam project have decided to move out.

The 35 families have agreed to be resettled, with the state promising to compensate them and provide new farmland for cultivation.

They would move to “higher grounds’’ above the dam site, said State Land Development Minister Dr James Masing, adding that they would have to relocate by this year "or they would be drowned" when the dam reservoir in the upper Rejang River basin is flooded.

Mass movement

Dr Masing, chairman of the Bakun resettlement committee, before it was disbanded after more than 10,000 villagers were relocated to Sungai Asap resettlement scheme about a decade ago, said in The Star report that the government would compensate the 35 families if they had land and crops in the dam area.

Sarawak Hiro Sdn Bhd, which owns the 2,400MW dam, has sought the approval of the state to flood the reservoir, which was originally slated for last November.

It had said that the impounding was expected to take eight months for the water level at the reservoir to reach the minimum operating level for tests of the turbine to be carried out.

Reservoir the size of Singapore

Once impounded, the reservoir, spanning over Batang Balui, Sungai Murum, Sungai Bahau, Sungai Pelepeh and Sungai Lanau, will have a surface area of 695km - about the size of Singapore - when the water level reaches the maximium operating level at 228m, giving a depth of 194m.

The dam is now expected to generate power sometime next year instead of late this year as earlier planned.

The Bakun dam will supply power for use of the energy-intensive industries, like aluminium smelters, to be set up in the Samalaju Industrial Park in Bintulu.

Source:http://www.malaysianmirror.com/sabahsarawakdetail/12-sabahsarawak/41556-last-of-bakun-villagers-moving-out